Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Interview : Meet the artist behind Jonwen Jewelry


Johnnie is the artist behind Jonwen Jewelry.
Her Jewelry style is Bohemian classy with a touch of Victorian Romans .
On her blogs you can tell that Johnnie
wears her heart on her sleeve and her Jewelry reflects it.
I asked Johnnie three questions and these are her responses in her own words.
What would you like others to know of you and your art ?
I have so much fun "playing" with my beads, making dolls, sewing ,painting pictures,
and now learning photography...that just a few days ago, I was ask what I wanted to be
when I grew up. Even though I have already retired from a job with the V.A. hospital, I told
my questioner that I did not want to grow up if I had to stop " playing" and having the most
fun that I have ever had in my life.

During my working years, I collected materials for crafting,
books on things that I wanted to learn to do and counted the days until I could retire.
I had to retire early due to my health but that just means that I get to "play" and have "fun" for more years.
Because I was sick when I needed to be fighting for my disability retirement income
and was not able to fight for it,I do not get full retirement benefits.
Even though I need to sell my crafts very badly to make ends meet, I would still craft wheather I needed to sell or not !!!
I gives me joy to make something unique that someone else loves.....
I have also enjoyed teaching others to do some of the crafts that I enjoy.
Retiring from this much fun is not going
to happen until about 30 years after my 100th birthday....
and only then will I retire if I can't get anymore materials to work with.

What advice would you give to another artist ?

Never give up on your dreams. Set goals of where you want to be
in 5years, 1year, 1month, 1week. Don't just say "I want to be a famous,
rich artist. Be realistic...do you want to own your own shop where you
design and others do the work? Do you have an idea that you want to
develop and have it ready to market it 5years on QVC or another shopping
network? Write your plan down with as many details as possible. Don't
be afraid to revise,redirect and redesign. Be willing to be flexible because
as we are experiencing right now the world economy does change.
Life Happens !!! Sickness, death, job loss, Taxes.....just get it done and
get on with that DREAM.....and along the way, if life gives you a dozen
lemons, be joyful and make the best cotton-picking lemon-aide anyone
ever tasted.

Where can others find your art work or get to know more about you?
They can find the art work in my studio and if they really want to
know more about me ,I am sure that my family would be happy to
give them an ear full !!!

Oh, dear. Did I just say all of that. Is that not the answer you wanted?
No? I guess not. O.K. here goes...

I have a shop on Etsy where right now I am focusing on jewelry.
http://www.jonwen45.etsy.com
My two blogs are
http://www.jonwen45craftingcreations.blogspot.com
and
http://www.jonwen45.wordpress.com
Also I am trying to learn all about
Flickr.com. I have some pictures there already and will be adding more in the next few days.

Thank you so much for allowing me to talk about something that gives me such joy!!!!!!